From IPodWizard.net Wiki
An introduction to the interface of iPodWizard 1.3.
Content & Screenshots by Gabe, as part of the WDP (Wiki Development Project).
- iPod 12345CMN
- iPodWizard 1.3
Windows Vista Users
We have a version of this tutorial specifically for Windows Vista users.
This tutorial contains screenshots from Windows Vista, and may differ from your computer or operating system.
Opening the Program
- Download iPodWizard 1.3.
- Unzip to a location of your preference.
- Using Task Manager (CTRL + ALT + Delete), kill the proccesses highlighted in Screenshot A.
- Plug in your iPod with the included USB cable.
- Wait 10 to 20 seconds for Windows to recognize your iPod. It will appear in "My Computer."
- Open iPodWizard.exe, the main program, from the unzipped folder. (See Screenshot B.)
- The Tip of the Day and/or Update Balloon will appear.
Loading your iPod Firmware
iPodWizard contains a great feature called "Direct Edit." This feature enables the program to load up whatever is required for editing - directly from your iPod.
As you see in Screenshot C it has been organized into sections. In one of these sections, you are able to load up your iPod via "Direct Edit." Once it has loaded all the requirements from your iPod, you are ready to begin editing.
- Find the drop down on the top-right hand side of the program.
- Select iPod (Screenshot D).
- Select "Load iPod Firmware." A progress bar will appear.
If error messages are shown, there is something that is preventing iPodWizard to load the firmware on your iPod. If so, please follow the instructions and run iPodWizard again. The most likely case is that you did not kill the proccesses mentioned above.
Tip:Before making any actual changes to your iPod, it is highly recommended that you backup your current firmware.
Backing up your iPod Firmware
Once you have loaded your iPod's firmware, it is highly recommend that you create a backup of your current firmware before you make any modifications to it. This is done quite easily through the iPodWizard interface.
- Load your iPod Firmware (See above).
- Select the "Updater" tab (Screenshot F).
- In the Updater Manager screen, select "Extract firmware binary from your iPod" (Screenshot G).
- Choose the location you want to save the firmware, name the file, and click save (Screenshot H).
- It will take some time to save, during with iPW may seem non-responsive, but it is working. Your firmware is quite a large file. Make sure to not touch your computer when doing this, until it is finished.
Success! Your iPod firmware is now safely stored in the location you chose. You can now modify your iPod safely!
Loading your work
Once you have done your desired modifications, it's time to save them to your iPod. This is done by the "Direct Edit" method.
- Find the interface seen on Screenshot E.
- Press Save. A progress bar will appear. If error messages are shown, there is something that is preventing iPodWizard to save the firmware on your iPod. If so, please follow the instructions.
- Do not remove the iPod yet. On your taskbar, double-click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon.
- Select your iPod. To ensure it is your iPod, go to Properties - you should see Apple iPod.
- Unplug your iPod. It should restart.
When it is done, you have modified your iPod! Congratulations!
Have a look at our Troubleshooting Page. It contains most solutions to problems & a FAQ.
Please search in our forum for many solved problem threads.