Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
How to fix a sad face (dead iPod)
05-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Hey guys, I will tell you how to repair your iPod when it shows a sad iPod Face with Apple - Support - iPod + iTunes written under it Wink

So to begin, try to reboot it (menu+center button) and then when it shows the Apple logo, switch to center+play button to put it in disk mode so you can restore from your PC.

-Usually, it will not work Wink SO this shows you that your iPod is really fu**** up Wink

So this is my way, the violent way... Big Grin

Steps:
1. Take your iPod like if you would do if you were looking for a song (with the thumb on the wheel, you know that Tongue )

2. Take about 20 sheets of paper and put them on a solid surface.

3. Make sure the iPod shows nothing (turned off) and smash your iPod three or four times (depends on your mood) on the area where the hold is (top left corner)
See the image Big Grin :
[Image: wwjf3r.jpg]

4.If it doesn't work, here is where things become a little bit complicated...

If the first method didn't work:

1. You need to open your iPod (just take a small screwdriver) and pop out the white/black cover.

2.Take carefully the cover off because there is 2 wires connecting it and 1 for the HDD that is on the cover but don't freak out, they are pretty strong Tongue. So with the screwdriver, uncap the black little plastic rectangle on the HDD and pull it out.

3.Replace the wire in the slot where you took it off and push the plastic rectangle on it. You can also look in the iPod for your curiosity Tongue

4. Replace everything, recap the cover to the iPod and test it out. If you hear that little repetitive noise, it didn't work, but if you feel your iPod like if it was living, you GOT IT !

5. If it still doesn't work, you can try to smash it at the same place:

[Image: wwjf3r.jpg]

This worked for me twice on my 5G 60GB iPod Video Smile

Thanks and I hope this will solve your problems Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2011, 01:13 PM
My 5th gen ipod video has been dead for about a year and a half now. I had tried everything to revive because there was a lot of lost music on there. I had since given up and got an ipod touch. Recently I came across this method and thought it couldn't hurt. Well it did quite the opposite. Not only was I able to salvage all of the music, but it's working just like new. THANK YOU!
01-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Very interesting
10-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Lightbulb RE: How to fix a sad face (dead iPod)
Hi KEDZI,

Wow after trying many solutions to fix my sad face (dead ipod) i was begining to believe it was either off to mac shop or in the dustbin but your method worked a treat first it put it in to disk mode then i rebooted back into normal play and yes its back after being dead in my daughters bag for almost a year.

I cant thankyou enough

Spot on old boy.

p.s love alternative ways of fixing software/hardware WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink