Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2nd gen Nano locked
09-26-2008, 01:39 PM
2nd gen Nano locked
I've spent the last week trying to unlock my 8Gb nano. I have no idea why it locked. I've never used the password function, rarely even used the hold button. I've reset about 25 times, if not more. I've restored, both with itunes 7.0 (twice) and 8.0. Afterwords, it never makes it past the language selection display screen. It has always been enabled for disk use. I reformatted with Win xp pro. It doesn't take off anything but the user content, as the ipod OS reappears. My iPod_Control\Device\ folder may have contained the lock file, but after the reformat, it never reappered.

Although I have no programming skills, I downloaded and looked for something which might explain what was going on, but found nothing. I don't want to send it back to Apple because 1. it was a gift, has my name inscribed, and they just give you a replacement, & 2. my honda needs a solenoid, computer, main relay & will need another timing belt (repaired before service bulletin). So I'm going to have to spend for a new used car & am tapped out.

I did read one suggestion where someone threw their nano against a wall & it became unlocked. I don't think I'm up for that. But I've been using my old 128MB Creative Labs Nomad II. This kills continuity as podcasts have to start from the beginning all the time & I'm constantly reloading.

Any Wizard out there with suggestions?
Find all posts by this user
09-26-2008, 09:53 PM
2nd gen Nano locked
if you have your ipod set up for disk mode go to your computer, click the icon/letter of your ipods HD and add\iPod_Control\Device to The adress bar (dont remove whats already there!) so you should be in
X:\iPod_Control\Device
x meaning the HD letter of your ipod, and there should be a file caled Lock, or unlock or something like that, delete it and you should be fine. PM me if you got it to work...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-26-2008, 11:56 PM
2nd gen Nano locked
iHackr Wrote:if you have your ipod set up for disk mode go to your computer, click the icon/letter of your ipods HD and add\iPod_Control\Device to The adress bar (dont remove whats already there!) so you should be in
X:\iPod_Control\Device
x meaning the HD letter of your ipod, and there should be a file caled Lock, or unlock or something like that, delete it and you should be fine. PM me if you got it to work...

I have my computer set to "show hidden files and folders". From Print directory, these are the contents of H:\iPod_Control\Device:
FOLDER Device 3,265 -H----- 1/1/1980 00:00 4 0 H:\iPod_Control\Device\
FILE SysInfo 0
FILE Preferences 2,924
FILE clock 133
FILE radio 208
TOTAL Device\ 3,265 -H----- 1/1/1980 00:00 4 0 H:\iPod_Control\Device\

See? There is no "lock" anywhere. There isn't even a corrupted file which takes up space and isn't notated. Yet the ipod remains locked. This is most frustrating and puzzling. I can't figure out where the lock is coming from :confused:
09-28-2008, 04:21 PM
2nd gen Nano locked
ok i need help i thintat ther might be something wrong wit me ipodwizard everytim i try to write to ipod i click yes ad the somethin pops up tat says un able to write because you have aother porgram open useig ur ipod ex. itues but i oly have ipod wizardopen plz help!!!!
10-01-2008, 09:31 PM
2nd gen Nano locked
bimska Wrote:ok i need help i thintat ther might be something wrong wit me ipodwizard everytim i try to write to ipod i click yes ad the somethin pops up tat says un able to write because you have aother porgram open useig ur ipod ex. itues but i oly have ipod wizardopen plz help!!!!

Believe me, I know the stress of not having your music/podcast/video available on demand can make a person do puzzling things, but (if I am deciphering your "English" correctly), your problem has absolutely nothing to do with mine. Why did you post your totally different problem in response to my problem? You stand a better chance of getting some help if you 1. do a search and see if anyone else had your problem. The solution may already be in the forum or 2. if you start a new thread, use spellcheck (the little checkmark in the upper right-hand corner). Then read it over before you post just to see if it makes sense. Would a stranger, someone who doesn't know you or what you are trying to do, be able to understand what you are saying? What ipod are you using? Clarity can only help. Good luck.
10-01-2008, 10:42 PM
2nd gen Nano locked
Sam8989898... is right.
Bimska, make your own thread.

But SEARCH before posting in a thread, or posting a thread.
10-02-2008, 12:35 PM
2nd gen Nano locked
try deleting everything in that folder, it might work - weird tho, my method always works...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-29-2008, 02:15 PM
2nd gen Nano locked
iHackr Wrote:try deleting everything in that folder, it might work - weird tho, my method always works...

I deleted everything, and it just keeps showing up again. I also tried the method described in http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/inde...99928.html for opening up the top and manually changing the hold tab inside to unlock. No luck. The hold tab can slide all over the place, but the nano remains locked.

I'm totally disgusted with this flimsy, tempermental, unfriendly prima donna of a machine:cursing:. I also am not too happy with Apple, either :furious:. I've spent hours reading about ipod nanos deciding to lock/freeze. Our numbers are legion. Not all of us can be nano-dropping klutzes. Yet Apple doesn't even consider that there might be a problem with the product. Or if it has, the answer might have been the introduction of successive nano generations. Why would I buy another mp3 player from a company whose product didn't even last 2 years? The Creative Labs Nomad II is 8-9 years old, has been through impacts which would have the nano spontaneously disintegrate. Yet it works fine and sounds great.

So, Frankenpod is my last ipod, nano or otherwise. Fool me once, etc.

But thank you for your suggestions :thumbup1: