Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help! My iPod says there's no music on it!!!
09-22-2008, 08:30 PM
I have an 80gb iPod classic and yesterday after unplugging it from my computer to listen to it ,. I go to my songs and select one to listen to it , and it sais " no songs".
Earlier during the day when i plugged I got a messaage saying that iTunes can't reconize the files on my iPod and it suggested i restore it .. and i don't want to do that because i don't have all the music that's on my iPod on my laptop...
And when i look at the iPod info it says that there's 70.9 gb left on it so i fugur my music is hiding somewhere in there because I only had like 3 gb of music on it ...

Sorry if that's a bit confusing!
Can anyone please help me?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Mandaam Wrote:I have an 80gb iPod classic and yesterday after unplugging it from my computer to listen to it ,. I go to my songs and select one to listen to it , and it sais " no songs".
Earlier during the day when i plugged I got a messaage saying that iTunes can't reconize the files on my iPod and it suggested i restore it .. and i don't want to do that because i don't have all the music that's on my iPod on my laptop...
And when i look at the iPod info it says that there's 70.9 gb left on it so i fugur my music is hiding somewhere in there because I only had like 3 gb of music on it ...

Sorry if that's a bit confusing!
Can anyone please help me?

That's why. The music isn't on your laptop, so it's not in your iTunes database. Hence why it's not on your iPod. And your iPod doesn't hold exactly 80GB, it's 74.5GB, and the iPod's files take up some space too, so it's normal that you only have 70.9GB left.
The reason why your iPod says that there is no music on your iPod is because the iTunesDB file doesn't know where your music is located, so it's empty. You should restore your iPod and connect it to a computer that has all of your music loaded into iTunes already. That's your only solution.
09-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks ,
But the thing is , it has never done that before... i've had this computer for a little over 3 months and I regualarly plug my iPod into it to listen to the music off of it and it's the first time it does that..
09-23-2008, 06:54 AM
It is possible that the music IS still on the player. Have it plugged in with disc mode enabled then browse your pod after enabling hidden files and folders (tools -> folder options -> view -> show hidden files and folders).
Look for the folder called "iPod_Control", it should be straight in the root of the player, inside it is a folder called "Music". If the songs are still there you should find some folders inside that one called things like "F01", "F02" ... "F50". And inside the folders are the mp3s (with weird names, not the names they had before uploading them to the player.
You should be able to copy them somewhere else, restore and reupload them.
And this whole problem probably happened because you unplugged the device before it's safe to disconnect it.
09-23-2008, 07:24 AM
Quote:And this whole problem probably happened because you unplugged the device before it's safe to disconnect it.
Not necessarily, I do it quite often, and it has happened to me only once. That one time was when I did disconnect it once it was safe. I think it's just a bug in iTunes.
09-23-2008, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't know if it's an iTunes bug as I use a third party program to manage my device.
But loosing my database happened to me twice personally, the first time I accidentally forgotten and pulled the plug before disconnecting the device and the second time there was a power failure.
Luckily the program I use creates a backup database on regular bases so I was able to restore my device with all my collection in mere seconds both times.
10-06-2008, 12:16 AM
It happened to me once, I was using winamp to upload the files. Then I plugged ot again and the files were visible in winamp. Then I deleted the last 2-3 uploaded files (videos in that case) and when I disconnected the files were restored.