Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Convert Ipod To Flash Memory
07-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Hey Ipw. Im curious to know if any one has converted there Ipod hard drive to flash memory using a compact flash card and this adapter made for the video. If any one has done this please let me know and what the outcome was like. The pros seem to be that you get 40% more battery life, faster and cleaner menus and also a longer life span than a harddrive. Cons not as much memory. (i cant even fill my 8gig nano so 16 gig cf card would do me fine) Here are some pics of the parts needed. I have decided to redo my video since it crashed over a year ago and miss modding it. I will post pics accordingly when all the parts get here.

:happy:
Here is the tutorial link.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Convert-...ash-Memor/
Find all posts by this user
07-15-2008, 02:55 PM
here:
http://www.tarkan.info/20080126/tutorial...flash-ipod
he's got everything you need (minus the flash card). it's the guy who actually makes the adapter.
i got an adapter, and tools from him. they work great. it's real easy to install, but i don't have it in there right now. the only card i have right now is 4GB, so it's not really worth it. but it is really faster, lighter, and the battery lasts a lot longer. it's definitely worth it if you can get you're hands on a decent sized card. i'm just waiting for the 32gb card's prices to drop (or an 80 gb card that would be perfect Smile )

last i checked 32 GB cards went down to $100 on newegg, which isn't so bad.
07-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks Godzilla (LuLz). Actualy i just ordered one from him and a 16gb card. I payed 60 for the card and the 32 was kind of out of my price range. I figured that the 16gb would do me fine since i barley use up all my 8gb on my new nano. I just miss modding my theme. Stuff is all on the way. Thanks for the feedback.
07-15-2008, 03:52 PM
cool. haha you'll enjoy it.
i just can never decide when i should buy a card, since the whole Moore's Law thing applies to it. i'm sure when 64 GB starts getting sold it'll cost wayyy too much though. but i'm sure 32GB will go down more.
07-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Im kind of hoping that the 32Gb goes down some too. When it does Ill probly upgrade to it. I just spent $145 to redo my 5.5G. I got the adapter, cf card, 850mah battery, white faceplate, the new ipod classic WHITE clickwheel, and i got lucky and found a custom white back plate on ebay for $10. All in all it realy will be an all white custom 16gig flash memory video that I can still mod. Check out the backplate its pretty dope.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...otohosting
07-15-2008, 04:09 PM
dang! that's sick. i think ima go hunt down something like that. i did the brushed metal method on the original backplate, but it doesn't look that good. i've been thinking about a new clickwheel too. maybe black ( i got a white iPod)
07-15-2008, 04:24 PM
I did the whole firmware and theme modding for the longest and got bored. So i started looking into physical mods and case mods. I have 2 ipod videos. a 5g and a 5.5G. My 5g had a white front whith black click wheel with white center button and a black backplate that i painted myself. I f you have an extra backplate lying around try sanding it with some 220 grip sand paper and spraying it with a couple thin coats of primer then sandin that with some 2000 grit then spraying it with what ever color u wanted followed by a couple shot of clear coat. You actualy get a pretty nice and durable finish.
07-15-2008, 04:38 PM
haha it's a mouthful, but i'll try it if i end up replacing my backplate.
07-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Its realy easy. Just go to the hardware store pick up a can of primer clear coat and the color you want it to be with some sand paper. Just sand the backplate realy good to make it ruff so the paint will stick. Then just spray a couple light coats and give it time to dry in between them. not realy hard just kind of time consuming. I was wondering tho is there an ipod show off thread here on the forum.
07-15-2008, 05:46 PM
i think so, if there is it would be in the central park/real world section i guess.
Thread Closed