Thread Rating:
  • 19 Votes - 4.58 Average
[5G, 5.5G] It's Here. iPod Classic to iPod Video.
10-14-2007, 01:00 PM

It's Here.
[Image: previewdw2.jpg]

Current Version: 2.1

Thanks to all of the developers, first and foremost.
H3X, bounci.rabbit.123, vettefan, saXas, matthew98, supernatural, and myself (xxDriveNxx).
Been quite the project, almost a month straight of resource hacking.
Hope everyone enjoys it. I know I have been.

Version 1.0 is now ready for download.

Head on over and see for yourself.
Also, don't forget to show the devs some love. It's been a lot of work.

Enjoy Everyone!
- xxDriveNxx

Digg This!

5.5G UPDATED to 1.0.1, Photos menu and some pictures fixed! Download again!

[b]Another Update!!
Resource/image only versions have just been uploaded!
If the .bin version did not work for you, try these!![/b]

Update:
v.1.0.2 has been released for the 5.5G!
Search is fully fixed, and BG image updated again!

Download now!

If you already downloaded and just want the resources to fix search, download the ones I attached here.

Caution
There have been many reports of this firmware putting ipods into an endless boot loop.
BUT DON'T WORRY
This problem is not permanent, and is EASILY fixable.
But before you do anything, to help avoid this problem, Take caution to some vital steps in the installation proces.
  • Make sure you have the correct firmware for your ipod. If you have a 5g get the 5g firmware. If you have a 5.5g get the 5.5g firmware.
  • Make sure your using the latest version of IpodWizard. The latest version, 1.3.7, can be found on this site.
  • Make sure no other programs are accessing your ipod at the time of writing the firmware. Including Itunes.
  • Make sure you give IpodWizard time to write the firmware, it will alert you when the writing is complete.
  • Safely eject your ipod with the "Eject" button in IpodWizard.

If you install this firmware onto your ipod and it doesn't start up, and remains at the Apple logo
Then it's in a Boot Loop, but is VERY easily fixed
Press and hold the center button, and the play button at the same time, until the "Disk Mode" screen appears.
From here you can connect your ipod to your computer and safely restore your firmware Using any backups or other firmwares you may have.

Don't let this Cautionary Warning scare you out of trying out this firmware.
There have been numerous successful installs and the firmware is a great addition
The worst thing that can happen is you'd have to put it into disk mode and restore your firmware.
Which is a very small process, amounting in a few minutes of work.
This firmware cannot, and will not brick your iPod.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the response. Now over 1,500 Diggs!
Posted about on:
TUAW
Gizmodo
MacUser
Engadget
iLounge
InsanelyMac
iPodHacks
LifeHacker

Now it's too bad people can't realize that this won't brick their iPods...

There is a donation button on the download page for this hack.
Means a lot to me for any amount. Thanks
Also, as of now I'm now accepting international donations as well.
If you had tried donating earlier and you didn't live in the US, it will now work.

Download here
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2007, 01:00 PM
Finally, after a long wait, the 5.5 Generation version of iPod Classic for iPod video is here.

This is a version of the 5.5G firmware that turns your old iPod video into a classic.

One major bug is still the search feature. We can’t do anything about that yet for reasons.

Thanks to all of the hardworking devs: xxDriveNxx , bounci.rabbit.123, vettefan, matthew98, supernatural, saXas, and myself (H3X).

Thanks to everyone who has posted in our threads and given us suggestions.

This is version one(now 1.01) of this hack. Expect another version in a little while. One thing I think would be cool to have is an auto-installer. A program that you can open and check of what you want as extras then push install and it will install to your iPod. Right now, though, you have to use iPod Wizard.

The extras included for this hack is the big album art on main menu, and different outlines for the mini now playing album art.

It also has a mini now playing on every menu, except the main menu.

When you install this, it should tell you to plug in your cable, so do so. Leave the cable plugged in. Do not restart your ipod or disconnect you sable while it is doing his! It could brick your iPod!

We are not responsible if you brick your iPod.

You need iPodWizard 1.3.7 to do this! It will not work with 1.3.0!

Updates
-Version 1.01 is out now. It fixes the photo section and part of the background
-Version 1.02 is out now. It fixes the search feature completely. Thanks to matthew98.
Find all posts by this user
10-14-2007, 01:06 PM
You may have to erase your cache in Fire Fox to download it.
10-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Hey driven or h3x can you please help - I just installed the 5.5g firmware on my 80g and it gave me the picture with the dock connector icon, then it went into the boot logo with a progress bar on the bottom and froze. So i restarted the ipod, and now it seems to be completely bricked. It won't start up, hdd doesn't spin at all, tried pressing all different key combinations, checking hold switch, plugging it into computer, and ipod speakers and nothing.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!
10-14-2007, 01:16 PM
you have to keep the cable connected. it's reflashing your ipod.

don't worry, though. it doesn't delete anything. do not restart your ipod when the loading bar is at the bottom.
10-14-2007, 01:18 PM
allstar255 Wrote:Hey driven or h3x can you please help - I just installed the 5.5g firmware on my 80g and it gave me the picture with the dock connector icon, then it went into the boot logo with a progress bar on the bottom and froze. So i restarted the ipod, and now it seems to be completely bricked. It won't start up, hdd doesn't spin at all, tried pressing all different key combinations, checking hold switch, plugging it into computer, and ipod speakers and nothing.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!
When it flashes like that, it is updating the boot image. You need to keep it connected to your computer.
You're pretty much bricked. I did this to my iPod last night.

The good news is I found a way to fix it. If you plug it into an iPod stereo/clock, you can get it to boot into disk mode.
10-14-2007, 01:18 PM
What's with all the images on the 5.5G? Look at the progress bar, the bg if gray not white. The title bar is hardly smooth. My connection images are really choppy. What happened?
10-14-2007, 01:19 PM
H3x or Drive I have some mirrors if you want them. I'll pm you in a minute or so.
10-14-2007, 01:19 PM
This is the most amazing thing ever! put it on my 5.5G and works fantastic!
thank you!!
10-14-2007, 01:27 PM
why didnt you just put the boot image in the firmware?