Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Download .IPSW files without itunes
03-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Ok, I've been hunting around and I manged to stumble across this...
http://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net...ck/version
Im pretty sure, if not certain that this .xml is what iTunes uses to download .IPSW files to your PC/Mac. If you look around this page, you will notice urls that end with .ipsw. So I thought I would copy and paste that url into my address bar, and, sucess you are prompted to download the correspondong .ipsw
So basically, if you ever need any firmware file but dont own the iPod, you can use this to find the one you need. Some people may be intimidated and wont have the first clue how to use it, therefore to get you started, I have posted links to sevaral popular firmwares Wink

The links are for the most recent firmwares, so basicsally, once a new firmware is released the links will become dead Sad

Update: Look for the .zip filesin the .xml . These contain the vioces for the Nike Sports kit Tongue

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1st/2nd Genration iPods

3rd Genration iPods

iPod Mini [1st Genration]

iPod Mini [2nd Genration]

4th Genration iPods [Greyscale]

4th Genration iPod [Photo/Colour]

Nano [1st Generation]

5th Generation iPod
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Open these files with winrar to find the binary inside, this binary can then be modified with iPodWizard

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not know what the firmwares for the 5.5G iPod or Nano [2nd Genration] are, so they are not on the list
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something else that struck me as odd, is that in the .xml, theyre are more firmwares, than there are iPod models. Im gonna download a random few to see what they are.
Edit: I have dertimined that the other firmwares are for HP branded iPods [nothing to get excited about, they are exactly the same. And firmwares for iPod shuffles. But some .ipsw had contents called things like bootloader Wink

James
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2007, 01:33 PM
actually my friend there is firmware from the 5.5G. i discovered the same thing yesterday, and downloaded it, because i am trying to restore my ipod. here's the link!! http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/...1.2.1.ipsw that should take you there... othewise you do it much easier by going here and picking it from a dropdown menu:
http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

The nd one is much easier
Find all posts by this user
03-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Ohh, felix burns new it already Sad

Also, I new the 5.5G firmware was there, I just didnt know which one was which Wink
03-26-2007, 01:51 PM
yup... in the xml page its the .ipsw that ends in "...25.1.2.1.ipsw" but i think the dropdown menu is much easier, but do you have any idea how to restore it with that after you download it?? i already changed the extension to .zip and extracted the firmware file, but how do put it on the ipod, oh yea... and i already created a folder in the apple computer aapplication data named ipod software updates, and it did more than just tell me that there was bad connection, it asked me if i wantted to restore with that firmware, but it didn't work... pleeez help!!! i reformatted my ipod, and need it before thur.!!! Sad
03-26-2007, 02:00 PM
You can use iPod wizard. Open the firmware binary the IPW, then write it to your iPod Wink
03-26-2007, 02:18 PM
That's really cool. Are there any uses for it?
03-26-2007, 05:08 PM
well for one you can restore but i really don't know how yet, for another, you can most likely upgrade the 5g firmware to give it the search featurem but... i don't want that to brought up in threads again, so let's keep that part on the dl until we actually find out that it works!! Smile
03-27-2007, 12:54 PM
To restore, put it in the iPod Software Update folder in the iTunes app data folder. I don't know the exact location right this moment, but I'll post it later. Then, you should be able to restore.
03-27-2007, 03:09 PM
ok thanx!!Smile i need to restore it because i'm leavin' for mexico thurs!!!
03-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Does it delete your songs or does it update it.